Monday 7 November 2016

Brr its cold outside

After a warm and beautiful October, November arrived with a COLD bang so I was really pleased that I'd finished this make.  I've had no time to sew recently which has been a bit sad but I did manage to knit up this scarf, partly because knitting is portable and partly because this wool is so chunky that you get a finished make pretty fast.  
I'm not sure why I look quite so exhausted in this photo, apparently having my photo taken is extremely tiring!

This scarf is a fairly basic make.  I used Debbie Bliss Paloma yarn in ecru which I bought from Karelia House and just followed instructions for a honeycomb cable and kept knitting until I was pleased with the length (very scientific!)  I used about 4 skeins for this scarf.
This is the second of these scarves that I've made.  I made an identical one last year and the first time I wore it, I left it on a train!  This was devastating on so many levels.  We don't count the cost of our own labour often in handmade items but a year ago when I was a much less confident knitter, this represented a lot of work for me.  Labour aside, this wool is also not cheap and so I had essentially just dropped about 30 quid on a train!  However, on the approach to winter this year, I knew I still wanted a lovely, warm and snuggly scarf, so I just needed to let the last one go and start again!

I'm so pleased with my lovely warm scarf and I'm determined to be more careful for this one!  Bring it on winter, I'm ready for you!



4 comments:

  1. This looks so snuggly and warm! I wouldn't think to do an overall cable for a scarf (I'm too unimaginative!) but it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This ones really easy to do, if you want an easy but effective knit, I can recommend.

      Delete
  2. Easy!? Pshaw! Tell no one: it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. Maybe I should keep these things secret!

      Delete